Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Is It True?

What is true?

If you are anything like me, you believe that what is true is what you believe. What you experience as real and important. Try this one on for size:

Yesterday I had the most unusual day of my life. Nothing was different on the outside; same family, same house, same friends. No life changing event. No newfound opportunities, no crisis moment. Just normal life. 

Oh yes, American Idol is on and Piers Morgan had Simon Cowell! I was more unmotivated than I have ever been. I did not want to talk to my wife, play with my children, or watch TV. I did not want to read or write, pray or meditate. I did not want to call anyone, or work on my website. Nothing. I had no desires. Is that good? I did not know. I was confused.

My wife reminded me: You have birthed a child- your book. “When I gave birth I felt the same way. Don’t make mountains out of mole hills. It’s okay.”

So I sat with the feeling of unmotivated emptiness. Until today.

I woke up feeling exactly the opposite: I wanted to love, give, share, play and live. Where did it come from? Did it matter? Here is the lesson: We are not defined by our experience but by who or what is behind it.

We believe we should believe the days that we feel stressed, unmotivated, resistant, small and struggling as an indication of what we are capable of. We are capable of so much more but it is not through effort, but through opening up to a greater source of our motivation.

What if the only reason for your inertia is the untangling of your ego? Would you then say "yes" to it?

It is a glorious thing to not take ourselves (and our experience) so seriously. Give “it” a try. No matter what “it” is.

No comments:

Post a Comment