Thursday, February 10, 2011

The State of My Union

For those of you who have been following my journey, you are aware that a year ago I began writing about a defining moment. A moment when everything changes and we gain clarity of our life's purpose.  It comes without warning. It feels right and we have no choice but to set fear aside and act. It is a super human moment that awakens in us a new perception known as unconditional love. I have had my eyes and ears opened to this moment in the lives of so many. Brendon Burchard speaks of the moment when during a near fatal car accident, he asked the questions for the first time: Did I live? Did I love? Did I matter? Brendon committed his life to earning the right to live? Doreen Virtue writes about the moment when during a car-jacking, she felt the presence of an angel. Everything changed and if you have read any of her books since the car-jacking, you know by how much.

When this “moment” arrived for me, I was beside myself with joy at the prospects of starting a new life as an author. I was filled with a spiritual connection and an inspiration to write, for 80-days straight, what would become The Super Human Effect book. I was communicating with spirits from other realms daily and intuitively connecting to the soul’s desires of  many. The healing experiences were also extraordinarily common.  I felt like I had entered heaven while on earth.

Then everything changed… Again!

About six months ago, I lost my ability to connect to spirit. Darkness set in and inspiration could not be accessed. No mystical experiences. No desire to pray. No words. Nothing.  Had I given up my 9-5 job to become a spiritual author only to have all of my “gifts” be taken away. Had I replaced having a job with being Job? The struggles were endless. My ego wanted so badly to hold on to the idea of the new spiritual leader emerging.  The new messenger whose message is simple: Fear will not win. There was only one problem:

I was afraid that fear was winning.

Instead of giving in to the “shoulds” of an author’s life, I chose to have this fear be my curriculum for change. Can I be present and know that God is- regardless of what I experience? Awakening to the moment is when the work begins. For the past six months, I have lived the life of a poor struggling artist who is staring at an empty canvas.

Why am I telling you this instead of shaping your perceptions of me as an expert? Because as you grow more and more into who you really are and follow your dreams, I don't want you to give up even if everything that fueled your desires is temporarily taken away. I have found a deeper connection through letting go of all my roles including the role of a writer.  My message is more important than a career. Fear will not win. No matter what your circumstances look like, your union with all that is can never be severed. It is found in an awareness of present moment, not in ideas of what you think makes you valuable.  You are valuable because you are.

I am writing this while coverage of the fate of Mubarak’s reign plays out in the background. Fear will not win. The protesters will not walk away from their dream.  In our perceived weakness the state of our union is strong.

Dennis Rodriguez

3 comments:

  1. Dennis,

    This is Stephanie Penn(-Virot). I was a visual arts student while you were acting at BU SFA. Ray Ford sent this link to me at just the right moment. Thank you for your honesty and bravery. I look forward to more and more. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear from you Stephanie! More to come, I promise!- Dennis

    ReplyDelete