Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Children's Day!

Today is Father’s Day. My six year old daughter ponders: “There is Mother’s Day and there is Father’s Day. Why isn’t there such a thing as Children’s Day?” I’m stumped. I honestly don’t know why.

“Do you want to pick a day of the year for Children’s Day and we can get it started?” “
Not right now."

“Okay.”

We forget that a child’s challenges are just as hard as that of a parent. Children do not have a developed ego or past references to attempt to make sense of their experiences. Parents have too many references, many of which are from past experiences in childhood with immature conclusion drawn then that are still affecting us now.

As a parent, I have the three and six year old version of me ever present. Sometimes that’s a good thing. I see the tantrum and am able to witness them without unhealthy interference because I remember vividly my own. But when feelings come up that seem to not make much rational sense, I can’t help but blame my oppressive upbringing. I have discovered that there is another way to work on our feelings. This way is found not in past memories but in present awareness. After listening to an audio from last year’s Next Top Life Coach, I was moved to sign up right away for his home study program and for private mentoring. Why? Because his message was clear and simple:

“Connect with what you are in feeling in the moment. Out of this feeling, what is it that you want to feel better? From this better feeling state, is there an action that you are inspired to take?”

No lengthy pscho-analysis. No judgment of feelings being good or bad. Just feel and witness the divine therapist go to work. After a few weeks in the course, I quickly realized that this work was the most important game in town. I want to feel the juice of life. I want to experience freedom that is not tied to doing anything but is realized as our baseline nature. I want to open my heart more and more and feel safe to do so anywhere. I don’t want to shut down when uncomfortable feelings surface but embrace the struggle as my present vehicle for transformation. I also see it as an important component to my Intuitive life coaching business. I see my business as a blend of peak performance coaching, intuitive counseling and heart centered exploration. More importantly, I feel the desire to be real and authentic even though most of my thoughts and actions betray this longing.

No comments:

Post a Comment